Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lots of Happenings

So, it's been an entire month since my last post... I'm so sorry for the lack of updates. This past month has been quite eventful. About 2 weeks ago we had the first Lake Powell Paulsen Family Reunion... it was a blast!!! (Thanks mom & dad). All of my nieces and nephews were there. My sister and her family even flew all the way from North Carolina to be there.

Lake Powell

The whole fam at Rainbow Bridge. Each time I see it, I always wonder how much longer until that thing collapses. Steve testing his wake-boarding skills after a hard year of med school.I love to ski on glass... what a treat!My brother Isaac... the pro wake-boarder in the family. He always gives us a show.
Isaac and the wicked back-flip...

Steve and I showing off our fair Arizona skin.Miss Makayla enjoying the water.

This is a silly video of Makayla. She is very good at saying names, but she loves to call me by the wrong name (I've realized this is on purpose). I'm know she thinks it's pretty funny because I always get a good laugh out of it.

Emma with her favorite uncle Steve... what a silly pose.My brother Josh just being himself :)Jane loving the wind in her hair.Emma and my sister Abby showing off her cool shades ("I got them for only a dollar!").Audrey making sure the sun stays out of her eyes.Emma is always ready to set sail!Isaac with his lovely girl Megan along with my two sisters. It was so fun to have Megan there!Bryce Canyon

So our trip was supposed to end at Lake Powell, but our plans changed. My grandmother, Bestamor, passed away on the last day of our vacation. We extended our trip a couple days more so we could attend the funeral. Luckily we weren't too far from home and we were very grateful to spend more time with the family. We first made a detour by stopping in Bryce Canyon with my sister's family. We enjoyed the beautiful scenery and did some fun hiking with the kids. After spending one night there, we headed up to SLC. Salt Lake Trip

Once we arrived in SLC, we were busy making plans for Bestamor's funeral. Many of these plans were already written in detail by Bestamor before she passed. She knew exactly how her funeral should be... a celebration with lots of "fun"... she always emphasized the "fun" part of fun-eral. Abby and I worked on putting together all of her favorite songs, many of which she had written, into an organ hymnal arrangement for the prelude music... it was amazing... Abby is so talented. I know that Bestamor loved the music and hearing her children speak. She was an amazing woman and I am so grateful for her influence in my life.

Bestamor always said that if something ever goes wrong, " just put it up in a balloon, and let it go." I thought it would be very appropriate to emphasize this simple, but powerful phrase buy sending off some balloons at the cemetery. Bestamor was 80 when she passed, so with the help of my siblings we brought 80 yellow balloons to let go. It was a beautiful day... just the way it should be.
When we arrived someone else in the family had purchased 80 white balloons. So after a countdown everyone let go of the balloons... it was an unforgettable moment.
We'll miss you Bestamor!

10 lovely notes:

Kim said...

WOW!!! What an update! The pictures at Lake Powell and Bryce Canyon were BEAUTIFUL! I wish I could wake-board like that...give Steve a high-five from me:-)
I'm so sorry for you loss. Isn't it great knowing about the Plan of Salvation and Eternal Families! I think it makes certain events like those alot easier/better. What a neat idea to let 80 balloons fly at the funeral. It DID look like a perfect day, and you looked SO pretty in your yellow outfit (very bright and happy).

Tara and Ricky said...

So fun Cara!!! I have to admit I am totally jealous of the Lake Powell trip!! Ricky's family goes every year, but we won't be able to go this year because of Ricky's internship, and plus I won't have any fun with this small creature growing inside:) Keep Arizona company for us! Hope you don't melt:)

Amy said...

Oh, I'm coveting the crispness of your photos! Great update. Those vacation posts take a long time to do, but they are so fun to read and view. I didn't know the balloons were your idea! I loved that thoughtful touch.

flower7657 said...

I love all the great pictures and fun video clips...especially the one of Makayla.That was so fun to have everyone there...what great times we all had! We need to do it again!
Love Mom

Lizzie Jones said...

Beautiful, Cara. I love that you wore yellow. Makayla is adorable. We miss you guys.

Criscell said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. She sounds like an incredible person. I love the balloons. What a sweet remembrance. How fun that you were able to go to Bryce Canyon and Lake Powell. The pictures were awesome! I have never been there.

Deidre said...

I LOVED to read about the balloons and all the family fun at Lake Powell. What a sweet way to remember your grandma. I hope things will settle down again since all the recent happenings.

Lenice said...

I love all your photo's. Love the one with the balloons. I hope you don't care if I copy that. It was so good to see you guys even though it was for Bestemor's "fun"eral. Good luck with everything!!!

Lyndsey and Joseph said...

That's pics look awesome, I think most of us have the Arizona fairness. It's just too hot to go out. The only part of me that has color are my arms, and that's from driving. My condolences for your loss, the balloons were a beautiful touch.

Plowgian Page said...

I haven't looked at your blog in a long time. You took some great pictures of our vacation and the funeral. I'm copying them into my iphoto right this second. Love the new baby ticker counter and the cherry background for your blog. Hope you are feeling better.