Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Freezing Cold in St. George

Well, I can officially say that I completed my 3rd marathon. However, the experience was very eventful to say the least. St. George weather is usually quite warm in October, but this past weekend was filled with rain, wind, and chilly temperatures. Here is a synopsis of the race:


The sky was dark and cloudy...


Mile 1
A black garbage back is handed to me at the starting line as my only shield against the elements.

Mile 3
I realized that this "shield" was contributing to a considerable amount of wind drag.

Mile 4
The black garbage bag is discarded at the aid station in order to improve aerodynamics.

Mile 6
3 minute wait for the porta-potty.

Mile 7
Hunger is starting to set in (that carbo-loading the night before just wasn't enough). I ravenously scarf down a 1/4 banana and a cliff bar which I tore open with my teeth because my hands were too frozen to open the package.

Mile 8
My shoes begin to make a "goooosh" sound as I run because of the pelting rain.

Mile 10
A big hill appears in the distance ahead, but my legs feel strong and run up the increased elevation.

Mile 11
I scarf down another 1/4 banana and a power shot (yuck!). note: a power shot is this weird gooey substance that is supposed to replenish your energy stores. I recommend not trying the coffee flavor.

Mile 12
My right i-pod earphone shorts out from the rain.

Mile 15
My parents meet me on the course and give me a very bright yellow jacket so I don't freeze the rest of the way.




Mile 15.1
I realize my hands are too frozen to zip up the jacket. I ask a random spectator on the side of the road if he would zip it up for me.

Mile 16
Received a rub-down of "icy hot" on my calves from a volunteer at the aid station.

Mile 17
Ingested another 1/4 banana. I-pod headphones are starting to fade from all the rain. Temptations to walk begin to plague me.

Mile 17.2
I meet a girl who begins to walk... I tell her "to keep going" in order to stop myself from doing the same. Denae and I chat for the next 3 miles... the distraction helps.

Mile 20
Another 3 min. wait for the porta potty.

Mile 23
Another 1/4 banana... I will regret all of the bananas later.

Mile 24
My i-pod headphones play a muffled version of "Chariots of Fire"... almost there!

Mile 26
Only .2 miles left to go!

Mile 26.1
A sprint to the finish line!



Mile 26.2
A finish time of 4 hrs. 26 minutes.




Yeah, I think I look just a little exhausted...

10 lovely notes:

Deidre said...

All I can say is you are amazing. WHAT an accomplishment!!!

Kellee said...

Great job Cara!

Amy said...

That was a great play-by-play, Cara! It felt like I was there, I even got the chills reading about the cold weather. I wish we could have been in two places at once to come and see you run. I assume you have your camera back now? :)

JBpaulsen said...

Boots, I'm so proud of you. Wow, what a race! FYI, I think it's only rained during the St. George marathon twice in the past twenty years - I don't know if that makes you lucky or unlucky. Anyway, we love the blog and the posts, it helps us a feel a little closer to you guys during your absence. The munches miss you guys too and would have loved to see you finish the race.

Best,

Josh

Emily said...

Consider my CRAZY impressed! I'm tired just reading your descrpition of each mile. WOO HOO! You're amazing! Congrats on doing it all in the RAIN too! WoW!

Emily said...

(consider ME, I meant!)

Lizzie Jones said...

Cara! I'm so proud of you! That would have been so hard but you did it. That's got to feel great. One of my friends who is a big time runner ran it as well and he said it was the most miserable he's ever felt while running a marathon (he's ridiculous and has done like 12) and that there were times when he just wanted to jump off course and go find somewhere warm. Nice work, you hard-core lady you. Next time you run, let me know. We'd all drive down to cheer you on for sure. And maybe if we had some really good food... and chocolate... and maybe Steve at the finish line, you'd want to run harder than ever! :) You're amazing!
Love,
Lizzie

Cara and Steve said...

Thanks everyone :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Cara…

You look fabulous after running 26.2 miles. Thanks for the great recap of the race, it still makes me cold thinking about it. Congratulations again, you rock! The blog is great and helps keep me in the loop. Say hello to Steve. Love and miss you guys, Heidi