Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Marathon Ready



Well in approximately 4 days, I will embark upon a 26.2 mile run in St. George, Utah... sounds like a lot of fun, huh? Why would anyone want to torture themselves with such a grueling race? I often ask myself that same question.


So, my training started way back in June. At that point in time I couldn't handle running more than 3 miles. Now I can say that I can run 18 miles when it is 85-90 degrees outside (that's a cool morning in AZ). My training has been difficult since the move. Before we left Utah, I could run 15 miles with no problems. My first run here I could barely pull off 3 miles because of the heat and humidity... it was like re-training all over again. Also, Arizona doesn't provide optimal training landsape because it is very flat in the valley. The "mountains" here also look more like hills to me.

This is a picture of the courseHere is the running shoe that will take me all 26.2 miles.

Hopefully, race day will go as planned. I hope to complete the marathon in 4 hours or less . My current personal best time is 4 hr. 16 min. I've had some trouble with my arches, but thankfully my knees haven't given me any problems like they have in the past. One thing I'm most excited about is seeing some of my family who are coming down for the weekend... it's only been about a month and I miss everyone so much. Unfortunately, Steve won't be able to come with me since school is very demanding. It is his birthday on Oct. 3rd and I won't be around to celebrate it with him... be sure to wish him a happy birthday!

5 lovely notes:

Emily said...

I am sooo imnpressed, you are amazing! I couldn't even run 3 miles if a lion was chasing me, I'd just give up and sprinkle salt on my head. You're inspiring! 26.2 miles!!! I wish I could come down and watch you do it! I miss you!

Amy said...

Haha, that was funny, Emily!

Cara, good luck w/ the race. I'm sorry we won't be there, but as you know, it's also my birthday that weekend, so we're sticking close to home to enjoy the weekend. I know Josh is sad. He loves a good marathon and I know St. George hold many family memories for him. We'll be thinking of you! Good luck.

Deidre said...

I'm impressed. Good luck to you. I wish I were that motivated, especially with the climate change.

Heidi said...

I hope it went well - Oliver's mom says it rained the whole time and there was a headwind most of the way. I'm sure you did great!

Kellee said...

how did the run go? I was thinking about you on Saturday.