Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Endeavors

Well, I did my first 1/2 marathon this weekend! I ran in the P.F. Chang's Rock n' Roll marathon and 1/2 marathon... what a HUGE event. Over 30,000 people ran in this race! It's ironic that I have actually ran 3 marathons, but never a 1/2 marathon... let's just say it's a lot easier. My goal was to run it in 1 hr. 45 min, but I came in at 2 hrs. 7 seconds. I just kept thinking to myself, if only I had ran 7 seconds faster, I would have broken 2 hours... oh, well. I can't complain because I kept a fairly good pace at 9:10 minute miles. Steve also participated by volunteering on the race medical staff.

My race medal:

Pics from the race (note the huge amount of participants):
We were all divided up into 26 corrals. They let each corral go every 2 minutes so things wouldn't get too congested.

It got up to 78 degrees towards the end of the race! There were bands at each mile.

So when is my next race? In approximately 3 weeks I will be running the Sedona 1/2 marathon with my friend Tara. I'm excited because it should be a lot more scenic and not as many runners.

Well, with all this running I have been getting somewhat eager to try something new. I have always wanted to try a triathalon, but this past week I took some steps towards acheiving this goal. Today, I started seriously swimming laps for the first time ever... wow, what a workout! This will definetly be the toughest part so I have decided to start with swimming and add biking in a few months.

I checked out a few books to help me along the way...

8 lovely notes:

Holly and Daric said...

I'm glad you had fun! I can't believe you've already ran in 3 marathons, very impressive. Which tri are you planning on doing?

Heidi said...

You are inspirational! Go you!

Emily said...

You are my idol. I would try to be like you but I'm to lazy. I mean. I'm too busy. :) Congrats on the marathon!

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl! What an experience, 30,000 people...awesome!!!!

Plowgian Page said...

Hey, I wouldn't feel bummed for a second about the over two hours. I think anyone that actually finishes these kinds of things is amazing. Good luck on the triathalon training. You are amazing. I have close to zero physical endurance for running, sports, etc. How could you be my sister?

Plowgian Page said...

Hey, I wouldn't feel bummed for a second about the over two hours. I think anyone that actually finishes these kinds of things is amazing. Good luck on the triathalon training. You are amazing. I have close to zero physical endurance for running, sports, etc. How could you be my sister?

James.Megan.Ava.Fischer said...

Congrats Cara. You are so ambitious. You rock. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to keep pace with you.

Criscell said...

Way to go!! That is just awesome. I'm very impressed. And now a triathalon? You are amazing, Cara!