Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dumpster Diving... Literally

So, I have a funny story for you (maybe I shouldn't be sharing this story because it is actually somewhat embarrassing, but I think it is very blog worthy). Last night I was debating whether to take the trash out or not... it was late and it was one of those nights where you just want to veg, but you don't because there are just certain household duties that need to be taken care of.

Luckily, our trash can has a lid on it and it can only hold so much trash until the lid can no longer be securely fastened. Lets just say that lid was not going to shut if anymore trash were shoved into the already compacted Rubbermaid trash receptacle.
I sometimes get scared taking the trash out at night even though we live in safe area with a gated community. In order to calm my nerves I decided to take my pepper spray with me and I also locked the door before leaving (just in case any burglars decided to break in during my 1-2 minute absence).
So I ventured out with pepper spray in my right hand and the plastic trash bag and keys in my left. As a tossed the bag into the gigantic dumpster, I thought to myself, "don't throw your keys into the dumpster." I must have jinxed myself during that moment because as just as I went to release the bag, my keys caught tangled up in the plastic and went straight into the bin.
I stood in shock for a moment while I internalized what had just occurred. In a short moment I started briskly walking back to our apartment to retrieve a flashlight since it was pitch black outside. After taking only a few steps, I stopped and realized that I had locked the door and if it wasn't for my paranoid thoughts my keys would not be in the bottom of the dumpster.

Contemplating what to do next, I thought of knocking on my neighbor's door and ask to borrow a flashlight, but decided not to since the conversation would be very embarrassing, "hi, can I borrow a flashlight? I locked my door before taking out the trash and I accidentally threw my keys into the dumpster."
So, I decided to go for it... diving right in. I blindly searched for my keys. I'm glad that it was dark so I couldn't see how germ infested the dumpster really was. Within 30 seconds I found them. Fortunately, they were still tangled up in the plastic trash bag and hadn't fallen to the bottom. Well, this whole experience taught me an important lesson: don't be too paranoid or else you might throw your keys into a dumpster.


I thought this was pretty funny:

13 lovely notes:

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest story!!!! because I know how paranoid you are..seriously that added 5 years to my life cause I laughed so hard.
Love Mom

Lizzie Jones said...

HAHAHAAAA! That's hysterical Cara. I love it.

Amy said...

Oh man, I'm so glad you found them! Imagine if they had fallen into the bottom of the stinky, dark dumpster. Yuck.

Emily said...

HAHA! Loveit Cara! I
m so paranoid like that too. I would have locked the door to my house before leaving- you don't want to come home and have robbers in there! And if you don't lock your door they can just walk right in! Holy smokes! I'm glad you found your keys :)

Heidi said...

I love it! Have a great day!

Plowgian Page said...

This story is even funnier because it happened to you!!! Imagine all the germs you collected during your rumble in the trash!

Criscell said...

Oh my gosh! That is too funny! I can totally see myself doing that.

Anonymous said...

Oh...I can relate! What a very entertaining and funny story...a great blogging moment. I hate to admit it; I've been dumpster diving myself only for a great chair that someone threw away. I still can't believe I did it but the chair works out great in our bedroom many years after the fact (I think my family has gotten over the shock that their mother dumpster dives-okay maybe they haven’t)

Angie said...

Cara, I was so excited to see your note! I'm so proud of you for doing a marathon and when is the triathlon? I want to hear about your house, Job, warm weather, etc. Drop me an email abecker25@gmail.com or give me a call when you get time.

James.Megan.Ava.Fischer said...

You should have come over to our place, I would have totally helped you out (atleast given you a boost). Congrats on the Sedona Half Marathon. We're going private with our blog and I don't have your email address. So email me at megzbegz01@hotmail.com so I can send you an invite.

Michelle Glauser said...

Hi Cara, I just found your blog and had to guffaw at this story. Way to go.

Asphodel said...

Hahahahahah that IS hilarious!!!!

Love the blog! :-)

Unknown said...

This blog is very interesting and entertainment. i liked a lot. i think it is very dinamic.

costa rica investment opportunities