Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Another Race Done

Although I ran a half marathon just a few weeks ago, I decided to do it all over again. This past weekend, I did the Sedona 1/2 marathon with some friends from church... it was a blast! My time was slower with this race, but I didn't even care. It was the most beautiful course I have ever ran. This race had some major hills (up and down), but the scenery seemed to distract me from the inclines. I finished in 2 hr. 7 min. which actually placed me at 9th in my age division. That sounds really good, but there were only 21 people in my age division (I just don't like telling people that). I finished the first half of the race in 58 minutes, but I probably walked about a mile toward the end of the race. The best part was running in perfect weather, on an amazing course, and with some great friends!
You can get an idea from this elevation map of the hills that this race involved. Phoenix is flat and low in elevation which makes it very difficult to train for this kind of terrain.


It was so much fun doing this race with some friends... they are all great athletes.Here is Tara and Julia the night before the big race.Here I am with Tara after the race. She did an awesome time in 2 hr. 3 min! We got these really cool shirts... they are bright lime green.
So, it seems I have to make some plans for my next race now... I'll keep you updated.

8 lovely notes:

Plowgian Page said...

Way to go on another race. You look so cute in all these pictures. The scenery is so fantastic also. I miss seeing blue skies with beautiful clouds. The air quality and smog has been horrible around here lately. Nothing good to look at at. I really do want to come visit you. Maybe we can arrange it for the spring. Way to place 9th in your division. That reminds me of a funny story. I once ran a race with Rob called the Turkey Trot. One of like 3 super short and easy races I ever run in my whole life (you know me). I place 1st in my division and got a silly trophy with a turkey on it! There were only 2 people in my division (that explains it!) Have a great day.

Heidi said...

Congrats!

todd and ashley said...

I went to send you those pictures and then I realized that I deleted that text messsage, could you send it to me again? SOrry I'm lame I know!

grace said...

Cara, I'm so impressed!! You're a running machine these days. Sure wish you were doing it in SLC instead though. Way to go on another awesome finish!

Anonymous said...

Cara I think you are the best example in our family of being fit and always trying new and different things in that area. Just taking up swimming...I'm so impressed. Another race under your belt. You are going to have to plan on making a quilt with all of your running shirts, like your theatre quilt you are making!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Dear that last comment was your mom.

Julia said...

That was so much fun, wasn't it? I had a great time! I hope you don't mind, I stole a couple of pictures from your post and put them on my blog, since I'm awesome and forgot my camera that day!

Anonymous said...

I haven't peeked at your blog for a while, sorry I'm so late to say Congratulations! You look great and I'm so jealous. You make this sound like such a fun race with such an amazing background to keep your mind off the fact that running is hard. Your amazing! Love the pics. Heidi (the aunt)