Monday, February 23, 2009

First Quilt

So, I was racking my brain trying to think of what to write about. I am currently in the process of making a quilt, but I didn't want to post about it until the finished product was complete. I am about halfway done with it and I decided that it might be nice to show you what it looks like now and then show some pictures when I'm finished.
I've made plenty of fleece tie quilts, but this one is a lot more complicated. I decided to make it out of the production shirts from all the shows I did at Hale Center Theater (13 total). Unfortunately, I couldn't find 2 of the shirts, but most of them were in great condition since I hardly wore them.
The color combinations are a little wierd, but I think it's more about the sentimental value. I still need to decide on what color to use for the border and the back. Any suggestions?

13 lovely notes:

Amy said...

I'm not great at choosing colors, but I'd keep it dark whatever you choose. Perhaps that Navy or the royal blue? I think it looks great! Good job.

Anonymous said...

I think green.

Plowgian Page said...

Cool quilt. I agree with Amy. I think Navy blue would look good. Looks like your loving you sewing machine. How are you going to quilt it? Yarn tie, machine, hand?

Criscell said...

COOL! You are so talented, Cara! I had no idea you were an actor as well. I love the Hale theater!

Anonymous said...

What a treasure and a keepsake! Great way to do something practical with all the t-shirts that sit in drawers and never get worn. Nice savor of something you love. (the aunt)

Anonymous said...

Hey Cara,
I love your quilt! did you get my txt last week...that I found your West side story shirt up in the closet. It is marooned, with a collar and button down. Keep up the great work!!Love Mom

Isaac Paulsen said...

cara this is a very original idea!.. you will have to bring it to powell!

Shelby said...

Cara, I am so impressed! We miss you here!! email me and I will invite you to our blog so we can keep in touch. shelbywebster@gmail.com

Josh, Abbie, Tienna and Kiara said...

I love your quilt!! Great creativity! I'd say go for one of the bright colors (maybe the purple) and get a solid of that color for the binding. Good luck!

Kim said...

Cute quilt Cara! What a FUN talent to have:-) I noticed you left a comment on Brenda's blog, and thought I would check out your blog (hope you don't mind). If you would like an 'invite' to our blog, please email me at kimpeterson8@gmail.com.
We definitely need to hang out soon! I'm SO excited for this break coming up! We'll have to have you guys over for dinner sometime.

Brenbren said...

I LOVE your blog. Your wedding photo where steve is holding you in the air is AWESOME! Cute quilt AND love the dumpster diving episode!

Brittney said...

Your blog is so cute! I'm impressed with all the running and quilting. It's fun to see what you're up to. Hope all is well!

Emily said...

awesome Cara!! I love it!!